A GUIDE TO STARTING SECONDARY SCHOOL FOR PARENTS
We appreciate that getting ready to move to secondary school is a time of both excitement and of worry for pupils and for their parents. This is a transition that the majority of children find tricky: saying goodbye to the familiar faces and friends at primary school and adjusting to the larger and busier environment of a new secondary school. We are committed to providing support to all our pupils so that they feel safe, happy and ready for the exciting challenges ahead. We achieve this through a detailed transition programme, working in association with other primary schools in Maidstone and with our secondary school partners. We work very closely with all families so that any unique challenges that your child faces are identified and form part of a personalised transition plan. These questions are designed to help you in the first stages of this very important time.
- Read the time on a clock and on a watch?
- Read a bus timetable?
- Walk my route to school?
- Plan my route to school using Google Maps or another App?
- Download the Arriva bus App on my phone?
- Be responsible for the safety of my Freedom Pass?
- Behave responsibly on public transport?
- Join up with friends that are travelling to the same school?
- Leave enough travel time so that I am at school on time?
- Tidy and put my clothes away at home?
- Organise my school uniform myself?
- Ensure all my uniform is named?
- Make my own bed?
- Know how long certain tasks take and leave enough time for these so I do not rush?
- Make a hot drink safely?
- Make my own packed lunch with a range of healthy options?
- Help to cook a few simple recipes at home?
- Join an online chat group with friends who are going to the same school?
- Plan and organise what equipment I need for every day
- Find my way around my new school website?
- Use the school website to find out how the school expect me to wear my uniform and how to behave?
- Find a copy of a school timetable?
- Find out I pay for lunches and snacks?
- Find out what clubs and activities my school offers?
- Find out what help I can get for homework?
- Find out who the important adults are in my school?
- Find out where I go if I am worried or upset?
|How will I get to school?
||How can I be independent?
What do I know about my school?