Understanding Christianity: The Big Frieze
This terms big question is I wonder why the word God is so important to Christians?
The first panel of the big frieze is CREATION
When looking at the frieze panels think about these questions:
- What can you see?
- What words are written on it?
- Why are those words represented?
- What would you add to the panel and why?
In this unit of work we will learn that:
- Christians believe that the word ‘God’ is important as the name of someone very important
- Christians believe that God is the Creator of the universe and all that is in it, including people and animals,
- Christians show that God is important to them in church when they gather together to pray to God and to sing his praise.
- Christians are taught to respect God’s name and use it with love and care because God is holy and great.
- Christians believe that they should care for God’s world.
This terms big questions is: I wonder why Christians perform Nativity plays at Christmas.
Here is the frieze panel for INCARNATION
In this unit we will learn:
- Christians believe God came to Earth in human form as Jesus.
- Christians believe that Jesus was a special baby because he came from God.
- Christians believe Jesus came to show that all people are precious and special to God.
- Christians find the nativity story in the Bible.
- Christians perform nativity plays to help children remember story of the birth of Jesus.
This term our big question is: I wonder what do Christians believe is important about Jesus and the message he brings?
The frieze panel for this term is: GOSPEL
Throughout this unit of work we will leant to:
- Retell at least two accounts of Jesus meeting different people.
• Talk about the way Jesus taught about how people should live their lives.
• Talk about friendship and forgiveness in my own life
• Retell at least two parables that Jesus told.
• Talk about how parables are special stories that have a message that teaches Christians more about God.
• Talk about love and kindness in my own life
• Retell at least two accounts of the miracles Jesus performed.
• Talk about how Jesus’ miracles teach Christians more about who Jesus is and why he is special.
• Talk about peace in my own life.
This term our big question is: I wonder why Christians put a cross in an Easter garden?
The big frieze panel is: SALVATION
In this unit we will learn that:
- Christians remember how the crowds welcomed Jesus on Palm Sunday
- Christians remember the sadness of Jesus dying on Good Friday
- Christians remember the surprise and happiness of Easter Sunday because Jesus did not stay dead
- Christians use special symbols and have special customs connected to Jesus’ death and resurrection over the Easter period
- Christians believe that the cross is a very special symbol reminding them that they can be glad to have Jesus to help them to make a new start when they do things wrong.